Strange effect when delete, then inserting a region

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 31 14:30:00 CEST 2013

Hi Frank,
Thanks for answering.

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 17:30:49 +0000 (UTC)
Frank Fischer <frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de> wrote:

> On 2013-03-30, Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > Using evil mode I do the following:
> >
> > 1. I mark a couple of lines using V, then delete it using d (which
> > is evil-delete).
> >
> > 2. Now when inserting this anywhere else using p or P I get this:
> >
> > p\310^V^A
> >

> > When I do not delete the original lines, i.e. I do y (evil-yank)
> > then this does not happen.
> >

> > Anybody having an idea what's going wrong?
>
> No. It should work and because it is a very common command it seems to
> work for others.
>
> Please provide a minimal example how to reproduce this problem. Start
> with a clean emacs instance with nothing loaded but evil (simply run
> `make emacs` or `make term` in evil's source directory). Then provide
> some keystrokes that demonstrate the problem. If you succeed in
> providing an example, please consider submitting a bug report [1].

Ok, a minimal .emacs with the problem still happening is this:

<----------------------snip---------------------------------------->
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/el-get/evil")

;;
;; evil mode
;;
(setq evil-want-fine-undo t)
(require 'evil)
(evil-mode 1)

<----------------------snap---------------------------------------->

I do the following:

1. In a terminal window emacs ~/.zshrc.local

2. I mark a couple of linus using V and then the cursor key

3. Deleting those lines using d

4. Go to a different place in the file and type p to insert it here

Instead of inserting I get rubbish. 0^L^Z^A.

The rubbish could look different.

I tried to track it down further by going back in git history. I a
reset git repository to revision
5c4de55b750c99094ffd50d409b68fac710a8f83 then the error doesn't happen.
If I go to revision c91894e4f401f9e98eec288c8d10bd7d3ab0eac3 then the
error is back.

--
Manfred