How to unbind TAB in normal mode?

Frank Fischer frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de
Wed Mar 20 12:26:57 CET 2013

On 2013-03-20, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
> I'll like to use Tab as per the Emacs bindings in normal mode, so tried
> this:
>
>   (setq evil-want-C-i-jump nil)
>   (define-key evil-normal-state-map (kbd "TAB") nil)
>   (define-key evil-normal-state-map [tab] nil)

This binding is a motion, so it's in `evil-motion-state-map` and not
in `evil-normal-state-map` (the former contains common bindings for
normal state, visual state, operator state, ..., which means virtually
all motion commands). Try

    (define-key evil-motion-state-map "\t" nil)

But ...	this

>   (setq evil-want-C-i-jump nil)

should work, too, but only if you set it *before* evil is loaded, i.e

    (setq evil-want-C-i-jump nil)
	(require 'evil)

should work.

Btw, almost all bindings are defined in the file `evil-maps.el`, so
it's a good place to look at when dealing with key bindings.

Best regards,