[ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Sanel Zukan sanelz at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 20:06:17 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 07:49:56PM +0000, Frank Fischer wrote:
> I've never thought about something like this. Feel free to announce
> whereever you think it's appropriate ;)

Evil got slashdotted :D
(http://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/02/16/0251239/evil-almost-full-vim-implementation-in-emacs-reaches-10)

> Sure. But I think it could be quite challenging depending on what you
> want to achieve. Simply make :set VAR=VALUE an alternative to (setq
> VAR VALUE) should not be too difficult. But this would only work for
> Emacs variables. If you want give appropriate mappings of Vim variable
> names to Emacs settings, then this is probably much more difficult. In
> particular, because not every Vim setting has a direct counterpart but
> may need several adjustments. But I think it would be a nice feature
> to have ... ;)

I'm planning at the beginning to implement simple mappings, (:set
VAR=VALUE equivalents to (setq VAR VALUE)) and later will see how
things will develop. Truth to be told I'm mainly using shiftwidth,
tabstop, showmatch and textwidth and emacs equivalents aren't always
obvious due quite non-uniform interface (vi did this right).

> Best regards
> Frank

Regards,
Sanel