Proper use of the clipboard

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at posteo.de
Mon Dec 23 16:13:57 CET 2013

José, I wasn't talking about Evil's internal clipboard.  The terminology
is a bit confusing, at least under the X window system.  By saying
clipboard I was referring to the clipboard that is used for copying text
between applications, say from Evil to your web browser.  When you press
x in Vim and then Ctrl-v in your web browser, the pasted text is not the
character that was deleted by the x operation because x usually doesn't
copy to the general system-wide clipboard.  The same goes for other yank
and delete operations (unless you send stuff to the + register).  My
proposal, was to change Evil to copy yanked and deleted text to the
system-wide clipboard by default but to exclude x from that because
copying single characters is not a common use case.  Of course, I don't
want to change how the x operator works inside Evil and xp should always
work the way you descibe it.

  Titus