Proper use of the clipboard

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at posteo.de
Sun Dec 22 17:48:27 CET 2013

Dear list!

I'm a bit confused about Evil's interaction with the clipboard.  When I
set x-select-enable-clipboard to t, visual selections are copied to the
clipboard as well as yanked and deleted text.  However, when I set
x-select-enable-clipboard to nil, neither visual selections nor yanked
and deleted text are copied to the clipboard.  Both behaviors seem
inconsistent with what other applications do under the X window
system.  My understanding is that visual selections should go into the
primary selection while yanked and deleted text should go to the
clipboard.  Is it possible to configure Evil to behave this way?  My
googling didn't turn up anything useful.

  Titus