1.0 release soon?

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu May 31 17:54:01 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 05:11:37PM +0200, Sanel Zukan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Evil last couple of months quite actively and is got very
> stable (congrats to developers!). Is there any plans for official 1.0
> release soon?

In principle it's probably time for a 1.0 release. There are still a
few bugs I want to fix but this should not be a big problem (I hope).
The main missing issue is the documentation which is still quite
sparse. I've planned to improve the documentation for some time now,
but ... well, as always never found the time to do it. And I would
really like to have a more or less complete documentation especially
of the API (how to define own commands, operators, motions,
text-objects, key-bindings, interactive codes, ex-completion, ...,
which helper functions can be used). I think this is important to nail
down what the interface for 1.0 should look like. Users should then be
able to rely on that interface for their own extensions or
customizations. So the doc would be for both, the users and the
developers to know which functions/variables must not be changed.

But writing a good documentation is quite time intensive, at least in
the beginning ...