CJK support makes evil-forward-word-begin slow

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Tue Jul 31 22:29:10 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Frank Fischer
<frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:40:49 +0200
> schrieb Nikolai Weibull <now at bitwi.se>:

>> I just hold down ‘w’ and let it auto-repeat.  Did you try that?
>
> Yes, that's what I tried but apparently on a too powerful machine ...

Ah, so it was a question of computing power, after all.

>> I ran with emacs -Q and load evil manually, with the same result
>> (Fundamental mode).  It’s not an old machine either (but I don’t think
>> that’s relevant, as this command shouldn’t be slow on any sort of
>> machine).
>
> Certainly you're right, it should be fast. I've just tried it again on
> my old notebook and there holding 'w' pressed shows a big slowdown (the
> cursor does not move at all until the button is released).

> The problem is that evil does a lot of cleanup work after each single
> command (usually in post-command-hooks, for example the repeat-system
> and cursor adjustment at the eol and eob). And this is partially
> relatively expensive (compared to a single forward-word) and probably
> be improved (IIRC there's a function `evil-adjust-cursor' that
> sometimes does some heavy stuff and it is called in forward word
> motions but not in the backward direction).

I’m on a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.  This work your talking about must
somehow be shuffling around a lot of memory or something similarly
expensive.  Is the gap being moved?  I mean, what can be so expensive?
 Is it the use of saved restrictions/excursions?

It makes me sad when a text editor is slow in the year 2012 (on late
year 2008 hardware).  (I’m not blaming you, it’s just sad that this
can even occur.)

I guess the upshot is that it gives me added incentive to try to stop
just holding down movement keys and instead use isearch or pressing
“10w”.