CJK support makes evil-forward-word-begin slow

Frank Fischer frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de
Tue Jul 31 22:11:06 CEST 2012

Am Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:40:49 +0200
schrieb Nikolai Weibull <now at bitwi.se>:

> I just hold down ‘w’ and let it auto-repeat.  Did you try that?

Yes, that's what I tried but apparently on a too powerful machine ...

> I ran with emacs -Q and load evil manually, with the same result
> (Fundamental mode).  It’s not an old machine either (but I don’t think
> that’s relevant, as this command shouldn’t be slow on any sort of
> machine).

Certainly you're right, it should be fast. I've just tried it again on
my old notebook and there holding 'w' pressed shows a big slowdown (the
cursor does not move at all until the button is released).

The problem is that evil does a lot of cleanup work after each single
command (usually in post-command-hooks, for example the repeat-system
and cursor adjustment at the eol and eob). And this is partially
relatively expensive (compared to a single forward-word) and probably
be improved (IIRC there's a function `evil-adjust-cursor' that
sometimes does some heavy stuff and it is called in forward word
motions but not in the backward direction).