evil-mode has led my cursor to the dark side!

Frank Fischer frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de
Tue Jul 17 11:05:26 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-17, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The `evil-default-cursor' variable is initialized to the current
> cursor color when Evil is loaded. This is to ensure that if another
> state changes the color, it is changed back by Normal state.
>
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.vim-emulation/919/
>
> The solution is simple enough: set up the desired theme before loading
> Evil. Alternatively, if you are certain you won't customize the states
> to change the cursor color, add (setq evil-default-cursor t).

Fair enough. But I wonder if there is always something like "a current
color", or if it is appropriate in frames. I often have frames with
different colors (and I change them on run-time to whichever is
appropriate for the current mode) or X and terminal frames, which may
be confusing when all those frames run in the same instance
(emacsclient). So the question is if there is a better way to "reset"
the cursor correctly (to normal-state or something else) without
falling back to some mysterious default, right?

Not that I knew how to do this ... ;)