shift-TAB in normal mode appears broken in terminal

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Jan 21 13:45:41 CET 2012

Am Sat, 21 Jan 2012 04:46:59 -0600
schrieb Leo Alekseyev <dnquark at gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Frank Fischer
> <frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> > Am Sat, 21 Jan 2012 01:37:11 -0600
> > schrieb Leo Alekseyev <dnquark at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> I've been having trouble with TAB and shift-TAB keys when running
> >> Evil in a terminal.  I use these for org-outline-cycling, and
> >> given the amount of time I spend in org-mode, they are important
> >> to me.  I undefined the TAB key using Frank's recipe from a couple
> >> of weeks ago, but I can't figure out what's going on with
> >> shift-TAB in normal mode. C-h k reports it as ESC, but IIRC it's a
> >> known bug.  Can anyone shed light on the issue?
> >
> > If you use the latest version C-h k should do the right thing, even
> > in terminal mode. Furthermore I can't reproduce the error, but be
> > aware of different terminal type. For example, in my xterm which is
> > set to "xterm-256color":
> >
> > $ echo $TERM
> > xterm-256color
> >
> > and the "make terminal" in evil's source directory, C-h k TAB shows
> >
> > "TAB runs the command evil-jump-forward ..."
> >
> > and C-h k shift-TAB shows the message "<backtab> is undefined",
> > i.e. no ESC key but not bound to some command. On the other hand if
> > I do the same in the console
> >
> > $ echo $TERM
> > TERM=linux
> >
> > shift-TAB shows exactly the same as TAB, i.e. the shift key does not
> > make any difference and is not recognized by Emacs. Therefore please
> > tell us the Emacs version, evil version AND the OS and terminal you
> > use, also if you use terminal multiplexers like tmux or screen, they
> > all can make a difference.
>
> I am running under screen; latest evil pull, org-mode pull that's less
> than 24 hours old, and emacs 24.0.92.
>
> C-h k S-TAB now (correctly) shows <backtab> and its binding in org
> mode.  However, it still doesn't work.

There's something strange going on. S-TAB correctly calls org-shifttab
but this function sometimes simply does not what it should. But even If
I call org-shifttab directly with "M-x org-shifttab" nothing happens,
neither with evil nor without it. Perhaps org-mode does some keymap
magic on its own that interferes with evil. I think it will take some
time to figure out what's going on sorry.