Evil for Emacs users

Michael Markert markert.michael at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 22 21:54:20 CET 2012

Matt Armstrong <gmatta at gmail.com> writes:

> I find Evil suffers from some of the same problems as viper does:
>
> 1) Discoverability.  In Emacs C-h b is useful.  In vim, :help is wonderful.
>  What does Evil give me that informs me what I can actually type?

Well C-h k still works, but that as well only goes so far ...

>  Referring to vim docs only goes so far.  For example, typing d C-h doesn't
> bring up what I can then type (iw, or whatever).

AFAIR the vim docs break here down as well. The problem is the
composability.

For prefix keys there's the C-h convention to show the bound
keymap. Maybe we could support that as well and show a generated
cheatsheet ({i, a, o, ...} x text objects).

I'm not sure if and how this could work out .. opinions?

> 2) How do I fix my problem?  viper and Evil suffer from the same thing: a
> low-adoption alternative.  There will always be a foo-mode out there that
> doesn't work well.  What are the common problems and how do I fix them?

Problems:

1. Shadowed keys
   - Rebind them with `evil-define-key' or `evil-declare-key' (or Leo's
     `evil-undefine') or
   - change initial state to emacs-state (if it's not an editing mode -
     there's a lot of them)

2. Well .. everything that goes above that is not common and may require
   some elisp
   - Feel free to ask here

> I'm an elisp idiot.  I get by on copy/paste from others.

Well you should change that ;) Really: It takes the possibilities of
Emacs usage to another level.

Michael