A couple of questions

Keshav Kini keshav.kini at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:05:48 CET 2012

Sanel Zukan <sanelz at gmail.com> writes:
> In my case, evil-want-C-u-scroll is set before (require 'evil) as this
> is plain variable and evil will not be able to pick it up after is
> loaded. IMHO, the same should be applied for other global variables.

Aha! That must be it. customize automatically puts its variables at the
end of ~/.emacs , though. So maybe evil has the responsibility of

> In vim, when there are multiple buffers but one window, :q will quit
> vim; the same way evil does. When there are multiple windows (or
> splits), :q will quit selected one. Again, evil does the same. Hoping
> I got you correctly :)

Hmm. By "multiple buffers but one window", do you mean when you supply
multiple filenames to vim on the command line, and then use :next and
:previous to move between them? I wouldn't have thought that corresponds
to the way emacs can have multiple buffers open concurrently, especially
since vim actually closes the current file when you use :next or :prev,
unlike what happens in emacs when you select a different buffer.

It seems to me that emacs with its buffers is a lot more similar to how
vim works when you use ":tabedit" to open a new file and use [count]gt
and [count]gT to switch between them. And :q does indeed close a single
tab and not close vim entirely, when multiple tabs are open.

But I'm a total newbie at emacs and not exactly a hardened vim wizard
either, so I'm probably way off base.

Thanks!

-Keshav