Evil and package.el

Trevor Murphy trevor.m.murphy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:07:18 CEST 2012

Hi.

Not sure if anybody else is using package.el to install Evil, but I
noticed an issue.

First up, the autoload cookie on evil-mode seems to be out of date
(points to the wrong file, and near as I can tell it confuses Emacs
because evil-mode is defined by a macro not a defun).

That's a pretty small fix, but the bigger issue is this. Seems that
even once the autoload cookie is corrected the package still won't
load correctly with an M-x evil-mode or after-init-hook.

NOTE: I'm out of my comfort zone with this explanation, so Emacs
wizards please correct me. My best guess is that, since evil-mode is
defined so early on in the package files (in evil-core.el), the call
to autoloaded evil-mode only loads the prereqs / definitions up to
evil-core and leaves the later files and after-init-hooks untouched.

Attached is a "fix" that moves the evil-mode definition into the
evil.el file (as well as updating the autoload cookie).

I put "fix" in quotes because I don't know if this is the preferred
solution to this issue. It worked for me in a pinch, but I have no
idea what best practices would normally dictate.

Patch contributed under GPLv3+, in case it's useful.

Regards,

Trevor