CJK support makes evil-forward-word-begin slow

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Wed Aug 1 10:23:57 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-07-31 22:11 +0200, Frank Fischer wrote:
>
>> The problem is that evil does a lot of cleanup work after each
>> single command (usually in post-command-hooks, for example the
>> repeat-system and cursor adjustment at the eol and eob).
>
> Nikolai, could you test the above theory by evaluating the following
> forms in the *scratch* buffer? Does Emacs become snappier? Can you
> isolate it to one of the forms?
>
>     (defun evil-repeat-pre-hook (&rest args))
>     (defun evil-repeat-post-hook (&rest args))
>     (defun evil-post-command-hook (&rest args))
>     (defun evil-refresh-cursor (&rest args))

Only marginally.  None of them have any drastic impact.

I might not have made it clear before, but there’s a clear difference
when running the version just before CJK support was added and running
the version just after CJK support was added.

> Also, what is the output of "C-h v pre-command-hook" and
> "C-h v post-command-hook"?

(evil-repeat-pre-hook)

(global-font-lock-mode-check-buffers
global-undo-tree-mode-check-buffers evil-mode-check-buffers
evil-refresh-cursor evil-repeat-post-hook)