Evil experiences

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Sep 22 08:24:12 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 01:12:16AM -0400, Timothy Washington wrote:
> Yes, I agree with Tom. I tried viper and vimpulse, but evil is the first
> emacs / vim plugin that feels natural. Thanks for writing it.
>
> I hope this doesn't make me sound hopelessly ignorant and lazy. But will
> there ever be a way to use an existing .vimrc file to configure evil? I know
> that's a matter of parsing vim syntax. And I don't know what lex/yacc tool
> emacs lisp uses.

I think you expected this answer: That is VERY unlikely

The reason is that you do not only have to parse the configuration
file but also to interpret it (vim has its own programming language)
and therefore provide an implementation for *all* functions vim has.
This means more or less that one has to reimplement vim in Emacs - not
only the editing interface but the whole internal programming
interface - and the effort to do this is in no relation to its usefulness.

Perhaps the vim people implement an emacs-lisp interpreter in vim ... ;)