Evil experiences

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Wed Sep 14 16:39:50 CEST 2011

On 14 sept. 2011, at 15:18, Michael Markert wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2011, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> On 14 sept. 2011, at 12:08, Michael Markert wrote:
>>
>>> Aquamacs could be a cause for this but I have no experience with
>>> it. color themes are most probably not interfering as they do little
>>> more than assigning faces themselves.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I'm still investigating. What's strange is that
>> when I do a "(set-cursor-color "red")", the cursor becomes red for a
>> couple seconds, then takes back its previous color.
>>
>> I've searched all my init files for anything related to "cursor", and
>> I don't find anything.
>>
>> I did another experience though: if I don't load evil, then the cursor
>> color change sticks. So I'm wondering if this might not be an evil
>> related issue.
>
> Can it be that you don't set `evil-default-cursor' to your function and
> do something else?
>
> That way evil resets the cursor to `evil-{emacs,normal,...}-state-cursor'
> or `evil-default-cursor'.
>
> So please post your related config.

I managed to make it work by manually setting the colors (using the suggested functions):

;; Cursor colors
(setq evil-emacs-state-cursor '("sienna" box))
(setq evil-insert-state-cursor '("dark orange" bar))
(setq evil-visual-state-cursor '("black" hollow))

What I was not able was to use the generic code you sent. But I'm happy with this version.

Thanks,

Alan