"vw" selecting the first char of following word

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Jun 17 20:59:36 CEST 2011

Am Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:27:46 -0400
schrieb York Zhao <gtdplatform at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> If you try it in Vim you will notice that the first char of the next
> word is never being included in the selection when you press "vw".
> Unless this is impossible to implement, I don't think it is a desired
> operation, and there is no point to use "viw" when "vw" can do the
> same thing (why type one more character?).

Well, I'm sorry, but at least in my Vim 7.2.445, standard installation
on debian squeeze, without any customizations, the first character of
the next word is ALWAYS included in the visual selection after typing
'vw'. So I can't reproduce the behavior you described. Furthermore
I can't find any hint in the documentation why 'w' should behave
differently in visual mode than the usual cursor motion, which IS to
place the cursor at the first character of the next word.