"vw" selecting the first char of following word

York Zhao gtdplatform at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 19:27:46 CEST 2011

Hi,

If you try it in Vim you will notice that the first char of the next word is
never being included in the selection when you press "vw". Unless this is
impossible to implement, I don't think it is a desired operation, and there
is no point to use "viw" when "vw" can do the same thing (why type one more
character?).

Thanks,

York

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Frank Fischer <
frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
Am Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:51:29 -0400
schrieb York Zhao <gtdplatform at gmail.com>:

> Hi Vegard,
>
> Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss this message. I noticed a
> new bug, probably introduced recently.
>
> "vw" is not working properly, it selects not only the current word,
> but the first character of the following word as well.

This is not a bug but intended. 'v' enables visual mode, 'w' moves the
cursor to the beginning of the next word. If you want to select the
current word only, use 'viw' or 've'. Btw, this is the same behavior
as vim's.