Evil Mode

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Tue Jul 26 09:45:18 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 19:31, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-07-23 08:15 +0200, Neeraj Sharma wrote:

>> Regarding dired mode, I do see its in emacs state by default but
>> i find it somewhat confusing for the fingers to go back and forth
>> between j/k (other modes) and n/p (dired).

> Dired now comes up in Normal state by default (commit 9a44dbe).
> As a modest starting point, I have added vi bindings for
> "h", "j", "k" and "l", but left everything else untouched.

>> On vim, I really like the NERDTREE shortcuts so replicating those
>> is what comes to my mind.
>
> That is an interesting suggestion. Since you are used to NERDTree's
> shortcuts, what are the biggest differences between them and Dired's?

I would really like to avoid having this enter Evil.  If you want to
add NERDTree-specific mappings to Dired mode, then by all means add
them to your .emacs, but keep them out of Evil.  I don’t want to have
to learn NERDTree for Vim to be able to use Dired for Emacs.  Learning
to use Dired while working inside Emacs makes a lot more sense to me.
I mean, it’s already documented.

If, however, there are clashes between Dired mappings and Evil
movement mappings, then they need to be resolved and looking at
NERDTree for suggestions might make sense in this case.