Name (was: Re: Vimpulse and vim-mode)

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:24:20 CET 2011

On 2011-02-28 10:02 +0100, Frank Fischer wrote:

> "evil" really gave me a smile ;)
> I thought of something like "VeM" but have no good idea for its
> interpretation. "vimu" sounds good, too.

So it's "evil" versus "vimu", I guess. I don't have a clear favorite,
so I'll try to list some pluses and minuses with both ...

evil:

    + clever ("extensible vi layer")
    + fits in with the "vi vi vi is the devil's editor" mythology
    - may be difficult to search for
    - "X is evil" often means "X is broken" in the software world

vimu:

    + searchable
    + multiple interpretations ("vi/Vim emulation")
    - maybe too Vim-like to suggest originality

--
Vegard