evil-next-line doesn't work as expected under visual-line-mode

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 15:42:00 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Michael Markert
<markert.michael at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2011, Titus von der Malsburg wrote:
> Neither, it's a wrong expectation ;) Vim does not do it as well.

Hm, not sure I agree.  As far as I know Vim doesn't have something
analogous to visual-line-mode (:set wrap is not quite the same).
Therefore, I would say that it's not entirely clear what the authentic
Vim behavior should be under visual-line-mode.  My understanding of
visual-line-mode is that visual lines should have largely the same
semantics as buffer-lines have when visual-line-mode is switched off.
That is, even if something is just one line in the underlying file, it
should look & feel like several real lines in Emacs if it doesn't fit
on one line visually.  Hence, I would argue that a visual lines should
behave like a buffer line in Evil, which means that j, k, <up>, <down>
should move to the next visual line and not to the next buffer line.

  Titus