evil-next-line doesn't work as expected under visual-line-mode

Michael Markert markert.michael at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 23 14:43:04 CET 2011

On 23 Dec 2011, Titus von der Malsburg wrote:

> I just updated to the latest version of evil.  Unfortunately
> evil-next-line doesn't work as previously under visual-line-mode.  It
> goes to the next buffer line instead of to the next visual line.  Is
> this is a bug or a configuration issue?

Neither, it's a wrong expectation ;) Vim does not do it as well.

What you can do is using `gj`: `evil-next-visual-line`.

Or switch the two:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp

(define-key evil-normal-state-map (kbd "j") 'evil-next-visual-line)
(define-key evil-normal-state-map (kbd "k") 'evil-previous-visual-line)

(define-key evil-normal-state-map (kbd "gj") 'evil-next-line)
(define-key evil-normal-state-map (kbd "gk") 'evil-previous-line)
#+end_src

Michael