compilation-mode

York Zhao gtdplatform at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:38:59 CEST 2011

> Indeed. Instead of listing all non-editing modes in
> `evil-emacs-state-modes', a better setting would in many cases be to
> make the mode come up in Motion state, but with priority /over/ Motion
> state's bindings. The keymap order then becomes:
>
>    <compilation-mode bindings>
>    <Motion state bindings>
>
> The point is that we get all of compilation-mode's bindings without
> having to disable Evil's keymaps entirely. This is actually how Dired
> is set up, although it comes up in Normal state instead of Motion
> state.

Different from Dired mode, the compilation-mode has very few key bindings and
that's the reason why I thought Motion State is the best in this case. And by
re-binding "recompile" to "c" (was "g") we can still use the extremely hany "gg"
command. My two cents.

> All of this this could be automated with a function (with the
> exception of replacement bindings, which have to be chosen carefully).
> The function would take the mode's keymap as an argument and set it up
> like above, and maybe provide an ADD-HJKL option for protecting the
> "core motions".

So, are you suggesting adding some new mechanism for this? That will be even
better I believe.