[implementations-list] [Vimpulse] Bug: something's worng when pasting whole lines:

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 19:14:17 CEST 2010

> From: frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:33:16 +0200
>
> In vim-mode I solved the problem using the yank-handler feature of
> the newer Emacsen (GNU Emacs 22, 23??). This also allowes to deal
> with pasting of blocks without any need to modify the paste-function
> (everything is set up during yanking).

Yes, this is the "right" way to do it. What Viper does is to check if
the text to be pasted ends with a newline, which might fail at the end
of the buffer. (But that doesn't seem to be the problem here.)

I should probably reimplement block pasting in terms of yank-handler,
and maybe redefine the `viper-[Pp]ut-back' functions, too. But then
there's XEmacs ...

> The biggest problem is that this feature is not available in XEmacs
> or ealier versions of GNU Emacs, but it's not hard to implement it.

TBH, if it weren't for the fact that Viper supports XEmacs already, I
would never have bothered with XEmacs compatibility. And I think
Vimpulse would have been better off without it. Every time I encounter
some XEmacs idiosyncracy needing special treatment, Vimpulse's code
inevitably grows exponentially, no matter how hard I try to do things
"cleanly" with reuseable functions that do what I want depending on
the circumstances.

There's a lot to be said for throwing away old code (including XEmacs).

Vegard