[implementations-list] Reading commit 1b34d16a226

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Sun May 9 22:35:39 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 07:42:25PM +0000, Vegard Øye wrote:
> (The reason I prefer the first order is I find it more readable when a
> complicated expression is substituted for x. Compare
>
>     (= 2 (wibble
>           (wobble (flob))))
>
> with
>
>     (= (wibble
>         (wobble (flob))) 2)
>
> or
>
>     (= (wibble
>         (wobble (flob)))
>        2)

:-)
I guess that makes sense, yeah.  When bike-shedding already, I find the
_last_ of the above versions the most readable ([P.P.S.:] even if I try
to respect the kind of readability you're speaking about here, i.e. not
for the reasons stated in the Post Scriptum).

Frankly, I'm fine with any of 'em as long as it's not something like

(= (wibble
    (wobble (flob))
   )
   2
)

Štěpán

P.S.: Actually, I tend to feel mildly irritated by things like (= 2
<var-or-expr>) (which you seem to prefer) -- to me it makes much more
sense to preserve the natural language logic of the expression, i.e. "Is
<var-or-expr> equal to 2?", in its programming-language rendering.  More
sense than the (rather vague in this case, IMHO) notion of readability,
anyway.