[implementations-list] style; VCS

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 17:53:16 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 02:42:28PM +0000, Vegard Øye wrote:
> I would like to use Git. I really would. I have one and only one
> objection against it, and that's (what I hear is) poor Windows
> support. (Before you ask, I'd rather run Linux on my machine, but it's
> not possible.)

Right... Unfortunately I can't really offer much help in that respect; I
also don't know how your Windows workflow looks like -- e.g. if you used
Cygwin, then you could use Git in Cygwin roughly the same way you would
on Linux (I guess :)).

Other than that, the "Git on Windows" page on the Git wiki
<https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/MSysGit:Home> (contents of which
are really just the same as the msysGit project home page
<http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/>)
really seems to suggest that it's still rather for the adventurous, and
mentions using Cygwin in case something goes awry (but it might be
somewhat dated).

You might also have a look at other Git front-ends
<https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools>,
some of which mention working on Windows -- there is even a Git port of
TortoiseSVN.

> But let's try. viper-in-more-modes is our testbed again:
>
>     git://git.assembla.com/viper-in-more-modes.git
>
> To convert from SVN, I typed the following commands:
>
>     git svn clone --stdlayout http://svn6.assembla.com/svn/viper-in-more-modes
>     git remote add origin git at git.assembla.com:viper-in-more-modes.git
>     git push origin master

Again, the repo looks fine.