[implementations-list] style; VCS

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 20 15:42:28 CET 2010

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:15:04 +0100
> From: stepnem at gmail.com
>
> Especially because of Git's branches. It's such a delight -- and it's
> really so simple when you get the basics (which are really simple, too).

Heh. In all the "Git vs. Mercurial" discussions I've read so far, Git
users hail Git's branching as the best thing since sliced bread, while
Mercurial users complain about the difficulty of understanding
Linus-thought. :)

I would like to use Git. I really would. I have one and only one
objection against it, and that's (what I hear is) poor Windows
support. (Before you ask, I'd rather run Linux on my machine, but it's
not possible.)

But let's try. viper-in-more-modes is our testbed again:

    git://git.assembla.com/viper-in-more-modes.git

To convert from SVN, I typed the following commands:

    git svn clone --stdlayout http://svn6.assembla.com/svn/viper-in-more-modes
    git remote add origin git at git.assembla.com:viper-in-more-modes.git
    git push origin master

There was a stumbleblock: to get Git + Trac instead of Assembla's
ticket system, I had to delete and recreate viper-in-more-mode's space
and then choose the desired configuration. (Alessandro and Jason, you
have been re-invited.)

I think all of Trac's tickets can be exported to a file so that this
can be done without any loss, although hopefully we can get an
Assembla admin to help out instead if we decide to make the switch
with Vimpulse.

Vegard