[implementations-list] upcoming release & changes

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:40:51 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 04:23:37PM +0000, Vegard Øye wrote:
> I have rebound it to C-c C-o in changeset [126]. This key sequence is
> normally unbound, but if it isn't, it's left alone.

Yeah, that's quite reasonable.

> I have written a custom extension for myself which rebinds the word
> movement keys in Emacs Lisp modes. dw deletes to the end of a
> S-expression, daw (and dae) deletes the whole expression, w and b jump
> to the beginning of every expression about point, e jumps to the end.
> The large-letter equivalents W, B and E respect nesting. gj goes down
> an expression level, gk goes up a level, gl moves out of the current
> expression by its right side and gh moves into an expression by its
> right side. cx and cX transpose S-expressions. There are also commands
> for splitting the line about point or after the S-expression following
> point, but I haven't settled on a definite keybinding scheme yet.
>
> There are a lot of rough edges and the code is ugly as sin, but it
> does the job for my day-to-day coding. E-mail me if you want it.

Thanks; I think I'll wait -- I'm actually quite satisfied with the
current possibilities (Emacs native sexp handling + Paredit and
occasionally the example stuff from pre-merge vimpulse-modal). Nice to
hear you're working on something like that (and planning on sharing it),
though.

> I'd like to release it at some point, but the change/delete/yank code
> of Viper/Vimpulse needs some serious rewriting first. Viper inherits
> this part from vip (an earlier emulation package), and it is very
> convoluted and inflexible, partly contributing to my extension's
> ugliness. Michael Kifer, Viper's author, acknowledges the problem and
> outlines a better scheme in Viper's code comments. Fixing this will
> tie up a lot of loose ends, and will probably be the main goal of the
> next release.

Hm... do you mean you're going to (try to) improve Viper itself? Sounds
great, good luck (I'm serious)!

    Štěpán