[implementations-list] upcoming release & changes [Was: h/j/k/l keys in Info mode]

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 23:43:18 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 07:36:58PM +0000, Vegard Øye wrote:
> We're ready for release. Any last-minute changes?

IMO vimpulse-utils.el should be removed.

It only contains three trivial definitions, none of which is actually
used; and one of them (`vimpulse-region-command') would not even work, as
`vimpulse-visual-start' is no longer defined (probably renamed to
`vimpulse-visual-beginning').

I'm also not quite sure

(global-set-key "\M-o" 'open-line)

is a good idea (the key is bound to facemenu- commands' prefix by
default), but have no alternative proposal either (I use neither
facemenu nor `open-line', and have commented out the above definition in
my vimpulse.el).

One more random nit I noticed in a comment:

;;;; Using text objects as motions in visual mode is (still) not supported.

That is no longer true AFAICS (there is also a typo "acheiving" in the
same paragraph).

Furthermore I think it's a pity you removed the sexp text object code
from vimpulse-modal after inclusion in Vimpulse proper (it was probably
supposed to be only an "example", but seemed to work fine and I still plan on
using it (it's just I'm too used to native Emacs sexp-handling commands,
so I usually forget the possibility is there)).

While I know about (and disagree with, BTW) the rhetoric of Vimpulse not
including any features not found in Vim, it makes perfect sense, indeed
is *expected* from an editor like Emacs to have s-expressions as first
class text objects.

Best regards,

    Štěpán