Assembla ticket creation requires administrative privileges?

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 13:42:04 CEST 2010

NOTE EVERYONE: Please remember to Cc: people (webmail users: click on
something like "Reply All") who you're not sure are subscribed to the
list! (You can just always Cc: everyone involved, it's no harm.)

Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> writes:
>> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 00:38:58 +0400
>> From: alexey.v.romanov at gmail.com
>>
>> Funnily enough, the logout link doesn't work for me, either.
>
> Hm. I was able to reproduce this yesterday. I logged into Trac (which
> is not the same as logging into Assembla), and when I clicked the
> "Logout" link, I got a 403 error. Today it works fine, however.

IIUC Alexey was not even able to log into Trac...? But the problem might
be related, yes.

> My guess is that the Git+Trac integration is still a bit betaish.
> I know that non-members could create tickets when we used
> SVN+Trac,[1] and I'm not aware of any settings for changing that.

Dunno. One would say Trac is independent from Git, i.e. it should work
just the same no matter whether you use Git or SVN?

> But it's not a huge matter; the bug tracker is mostly a "discussion
> tracker" these days. If you want to contribute code, the preferred
> approach is to submit a patch to the mailing list which can be
> committed with "git am". That way, you also get credit in the version
> history.

Cool, this paradigm switch is great news ;-) But then we should really
adjust the bug reporting information we give to discourage use of the
bug tracker, at least until the issues are sorted out.

Also, IMO the mailing list is much better for discussion as well -- you
get every new message without need to periodically check the tracker (I
imagine there is some mailing notification integrated, but why, when you
could just use e-mail in the first place. And I find writing mails much
more convenient than using a web interface (I don't use webmail BTW,
despite my address suggesting otherwise)).

Štěpán