hlsearch in Vimpulse

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 18:03:49 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-26 20:31, Alexey Romanov wrote:

> Would it be possible to include Vimpulse as part of Viper at some
> later date?

Maybe.

> Second, as I've mentioned on the EmacsWiki page, hlsearch would be
> nice to have. One possible way to add it is described at
> http://r4yner.wordpress.com/2008/09/19/hlsearch-for-emacs/. Perhaps,
> even if it shouldn't be added as a part of Vimpulse, it could be
> added to the Tips&Tricks page?

Do you use release 0.4 or the latest Git commit? The latter integrates
with Emacs' isearch to provide something "in between" -- temporary
highlighing of all visible matches. For example, n and N will
highlight not only the match under the cursor, but also nearby
matches, for a duration of 2 seconds (governed by the
`vimpulse-flash-delay' variable).

As for implementing user-toggled "permanent" highlighting, it depends
on whether isearch can be persuaded to fontify the whole buffer in one
go. By default, it only acts on what's visible in the window;
continually refreshing the display as the user moves around could
work, but would probably be sluggish. Of course, we can fall back on
hi-lock mode if isearch won't cooperate, but I'd rather only have one
type of hightlighting.

--
Vegard