vimpulse bug: visual-line does not select final newline

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 19:06:03 CEST 2010

Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Rewriting the code along the lines of approach #2 in the post below is
> one solution.[1] Another is to list the commands in
> `vimpulse-newline-cmds':
>
>     (add-to-list 'vimpulse-newline-cmds 'vimpulse-change-surround-or-change)
>     (add-to-list 'vimpulse-newline-cmds 'vimpulse-delete-surround-or-delete)

[...]

> [1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.vim-emulation/524

I went for the minor mode approach (and thus the second recommended
solution above) to be able to enable and disable the plugin cleanly.

Tim seems to be absent lately, so I forked his Github repo to make the
changes available to anyone interested:

git://github.com/stepnem/vimpulse-surround.el.git

There are still glitches, though, e.g.:

- with the mode enabled, `cw' eats the space after the word being
changed, unlike in plain Vim(pulse)

- after enabling the mode, you have to actually do something for the new
bindings to take effect, i.e. `C-h c c' still reports `vimpulse-change',
only after e.g. entering and exiting Insert mode does
`vimpulse-change-surround-or-change' take effect.

- changing curly braces (`cs}' on "{word}") doesn't seem to work

I guess I'll try to investigate when I get the time'n'energy, but the
relevant parts of Vimpulse make my head explode, so I welcome any
advice or contribution. ;-)

  Štěpán

P.S.: Locally I have also changed `<' and `>' to behave as other
brackets and left only `t' for tags. That's surround.vim-incompatible
AFAIK so I haven't pushed it, but I *really* want angle brackets, too
(and it's a net win, as `t' already takes care of tags anyway). What do
you people think? I should ask the surround.vim author, too.