vimpulse bug: visual-line does not select final newline

Craig Tenney tenneycr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 20:07:39 CEST 2010

> I always use Y (remapped to y$ both in Vim and Vimpulse) for that, which
> leaves the newline out.

I like that -- it fits much better with C and D. Thank you for the tip!

>> Not having "V" (visual-line) grab the final newline, however, prevents easy
>> copying of lines, and that's keeping me solidly in Vim for now.
>
> I always use yy for copying single lines including the newline.

Same here, but I like V{motion}y for larger blocks.

> *But* I can't actually reproduce any of the difference you described
> between V in Vim and Vimpulse, even the Vyp case.

I dug further. This is my 'min_init.el' file:

    (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elisp/")
    (require 'vimpulse)

and for testing I'm starting Emacs with:

    emacs -q -l min_init.el testfile

Here's what I've discovered: If 'vimpulse.elc' exists, 'Vyp' doesn't
work correctly (i.e. it doesn't grab the final newline). If I delete
the 'elc' file, 'Vyp' works as expected. If I byte-compile
'vimpulse.el' again, the 'Vyp' problem returns. Through all of this,
'Vd' has worked properly, i.e. it grabs the final newline. (fyi my
vimpulse snapshot appears to have been from ~August 5.) What a queer
problem...

So I deleted every byte-compiled file and added a line to the end of
'min_init.el':

    (require 'vimpulse-surround)

When I load vimpulse-surround, 'Vd' fails to grab the final newline
(as described in the orginal bug report), but 'Vyp' still works
properly.

I apologize for leading you down a false path with my byte-compiled
weirdness. I'm still lost on the vimpulse-surround thing, but that is
presumably someone else's domain.

Regards and thanks,
Craig