Add vimpulse-want-quit-like-Vim customization variable.

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 13:28:29 CEST 2010

Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-07-31 21:01, Štěpán Němec wrote:
>
>> I don't understand purpose or motivation of this change (commit
>> af7bc2369c72a9), could you please comment (and could you (and others
>> whom it may concern) *please* add such comments to the commit
>> messages as well)?
>
> Yeah, I can understand that the brief summary line by itself isn't
> very telling. I'll be more verbose from now on, starting with commit
> [f35a5dce0b]. :)

Thank you!

>> Apart from the fact that I don't get why you made the change in the
>> first place, I see other issues as well: Viper already includes a
>> :quit command, which is about as faithful to the Vim behaviour as
>> the trivial version used by Vimpulse. ... Actually, each of the
>> commands, i.e. `ex-quit' on one hand and the Vimpulse version on the
>> other, pick a different part of what Vim's :quit command does.
>
> I made the change because a user missed Viper's `ex-quit'. But, as you
> rightly point out, neither `ex-quit' nor `save-buffers-kill-emacs'
> emulate :quit completely, making `vimpulse-want-quit-like-Vim'
> something of a misnomer. The better solution would be to write a
> quit function that implemented both parts of Vim's :quit.

Yes. That could also address a recent feature request for :quit!/ZQ
to quit Emacs unconditionally (although I don't see an easy way to do
that).

Štěpán

P.S.: This is not the first time you made a change because "some user"
requested it (e.g. the TAB key thing recently) -- I assume you get such
requests off-list? I wonder why users don't write to this list so that
we could have some more feedback and possibly prevent misunderstandings
or "fixes" introducing other problems right away (of course you can
always do whatever you want in the end (were there any doubts about
that? :-)), but AFAICT you're not opposed to considering input from
wider user base. Maybe you could cc such discussions/requests to the
list?)