[implementations-list] Why can't I byte-compile (all of) Vimpulse?

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:34:11 CEST 2010

> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:16:43 +0200
> From: stepnem at gmail.com
>
>> Do you guys byte-compile Vimpulse at all?
>
> Haha, obviously nobody does...

I don't, since I code on it.

Anyway, this is a serious defect. José, thanks for bringing it to my
attention. Please grab the latest commit, [db43aaed4e], and try to
compile as a single file. Multiple files should work too, provided
Vimpulse is already loaded.

Compiling as multiple files from vanilla Emacs currently fails,
however. The dependencies are quite entangled, and Emacs doesn't like
self-referencing feature requirements (this feature requires that
feature which requires this feature). Since the files are to be
concatenated, "later" features cannot be required earlier in the code,
or the single file complains. So the code has to be laid out in a more
linear fashion for compilation to work in all cases.

Štěpán: thanks for the tips. I spotted both quite early on, but there
was a lot more to it.

Vegard