[implementations-list] Migrating to Git (was: Bug: Ctrl-n doesn't work as it should)

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 16:08:09 CEST 2010

> From: laynor at gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:07:43 +0100
>
> If you think changing vcs is good for Vimpulse's health - or it
> gives you any valuable advantage in managing the project, go ahead!
> I'd avoid git though... I don't know it very well, but for what I've
> seen it looks overcomplicated for such a small codebase.

Actually, our contributors love Git. :) Both Štěpán Němec and John J.
Foerch have voted for Git, and I have already migrated
viper-in-more-modes to it. It works well (I use TortoiseGit as my
GUI), and frankly, I think the complexity is exaggerated.

Of course, we can always switch to Mercurial if Git doesn't work out.
Both provide straightforward tools for going one way or the other.
We reap the benefits of distributed version control either way,
but Git is evidently more popular with Vimpulse's contributors.

There is one caveat: to add Git+Trac right away, I'll have to delete
Vimpulse's Assembla space and then recreate it. I have backups of the
Trac database and wiki (tested with viper-in-more-mode's space, so I
know they work), as well as the Subversion repository (both in
original form and converted to Git), so the only thing which is lost
is yours and Jason's memberships. I'll reinvite you and restore your
administrative privileges once you accept your invitation.

There will be no more updates to Vimpulse until the migration is
finished.

Vegard