[implementations-list] Which version control system should we use: darcs / git / svn / hg / other (was: Vimpulse update)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:03:35 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Alessandro Piras <laynor at gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah, I was thinking of getting some kind of repository for the code,
> as using only emacs-wiki is difficult also for me. Is git easy to use?
> I was thinking about darcs, that shouldn't bee too complicated.

I think it'd be best to use something that:

1.  we can find free online hosting for.

2.  works with Assembla, since Vimpulse's bug tracking is on Assembla already.
	So this means svn, git, or Mercurial.  Darcs is not supported.

3.  a lot of people already know the basics of how to use.

4.  is easy to learn, so that if new maintainers or co-maintainers
step up, they can continue easily.
	Based on what I have read, svn and Mercurial are easy to learn, but
Git is harder.

But I am not a maintainer.  So it is 100% your choice what to use.

What do you think you will use?

P.S.  I already know how to use svn and git, but I learned them a long
time ago and don't remember how hard they are to learn.