[implementations-list] Re: vimpulse - visual select with emacs -nw

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:49:56 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM, John MacFarlane <jgm at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I tried using -q to suppress loading of .emacs, and just loading
> the vimpulse stuff manually.  No change.  I tried it with emacs 22.
> That didn't help.  I even tried it in a console.  No change.
>
> But then I noticed something -- visual mode actually *does*
> work when I move the cursor using hjkl. But when I use the arrow keys,
> it causes vimpulse to leave visual mode. Visual mode works fine with
> arrow keys when I run gtk emacs.
>
> One more clue:  when this happens, if you check *Messages*, it
> contains the line:
> Toggling vimpulse-visual-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
> This seems to be caused by the use of arrow keys.
>
> Best,
> John

Try running these two commands in order to start Emacs:

export ESCDELAY=1000
emacs

Does this solve the problem?  If so, then the arrow keys are sending
"Esc" then a few more characters (which is fine), and Emacs is
processing the "Esc" part by itself, then the next part by itself
(which is bad).

Do you have debug-on-error on?

Try M-x view-lossage RET.  Do the arrow keys really send <Up> / <Down>
/ <Left> / <Right>?

How about the arrow keys on the numeric keypad?