[implementations-list] Visual region (was: vimpulse)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:11:31 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Alessandro Piras <laynor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Fabian,
> I was looking at the viper source code to see how to add the '<,'>
> functionality to ex commands. It turns out it's quite boring to add it.
> Viper does not recognize the '< and '> marks, and the characters recognized
> as mark identifiers are hard coded in the ex command parser. I could easily
> change the parser to let it recognize '< '>, but that would be yet another
> viper function redefinition. I also think I'd have to change it in other
> places, like in the ' command, and god knows where else (as there are also
> other functions that check if the character is a valid mark, and it seems
> viper uses some sort of registers (the same code used for "a "b etc) to
> store markers.
> To avoid another redefinition, I can do 2 things:
> - put the line numbers that identify the current visual selection
> automatically after ":" - this would work almost the same, but then you
> would have to remember the line numbers if you want to issue a second
> command on the visual selection after it is turned off
> - use two marks, for example y and z, instead of < and >, and automatically
> put 'y,'z after the : when : is issued in visual mode.

Why not ask Michael Kifer for write access to the Viper source code
repository, if there is one?  [ Please CC me or the list when you
write to him; then, if it turns out there isn't one, I or you could
offer to make one for him on Assembla.  :-) ]

> By the way, I'm forwarding this mail to the mailing list, so to hear other
> opinions too. I also invite you to subscribe to the mailing list, and direct
> your feature/fix requests there :)

Thanks Alessandro.  Just remember that if you leave out your email
address from the top of the file, and put the list email address in
its place, then *all* emails will go to list :-)