[implementations-list] Transferring maintainership of Vimpulse (was: Re: viper-in-more-modes)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 02:39:43 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Maciej Katafiasz <mathrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to ask everyone interested in vi-in-emacs: why not go [the vimp]
> way instead of trying to fix viper? If I stopped slacking off,
> converted my morning commuting hours to hacking on vimp instead of
> watching anime, made a proper, public repo (another big problem with
> vimpulse), would anyone be interested?

Once it meets my needs better than Viper plus Vimpulse, then I will
switch.  Otherwise, I will probably not switch.  Sorry :)

By the way, I have no private Vimpulse repo.  When I modify my local
copy of Vimpulse, I upload my changes to the wiki right away.  But I
haven't touched my local copy of Vimpulse for over a year now; also,
there are many unread Vimpulse-related emails which were sent only to
me in my inbox.  This includes patches.  I haven't been reading them
or acting on them.  I think I have been ignoring them because I am no
longer very interested in putting in the effort to maintain Vimpulse.
That is why I would like a new maintainer to step up.

> I seriously want to switch to
> the vi(m) editing model, and I seriously don't want to leave emacs,
> and I seriously think viper is too buggy to be useful for anything.

Back when I used only Viper, I don't remember finding it buggy at all.
 So I believe that Vimpulse is buggy, but Viper is not.  I haven't
investigated though, and I could be wrong.

> [1] Tentatively called "vimp", although "vimpersonator" is a good
> candidate as well.

I prefer the name "vimpersonator".  The name "vimp" sounds too much
like "pimp", which is bad.

--
Jason Spiro: software/web developer, packager, trainer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more. Contact me to discuss your needs.