[PeDAGoG] Education for Societal Transformation - Call for Short Contributions!

Steven J. Klees sklees at umd.edu
Mon Jul 31 16:39:19 CEST 2023

Please circulate this Call far and wide!  It is also available here:
https://www.norrag.org/call-for-contributions-norrag-special-issue-10/

*Call for Contributions! NORRAG Special Issue **10**: “Education for
Societal Transformation: *

*Alternatives for a Just Future”*

NORRAG, an associate program of the Graduate Institute of International and
Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland, invites contributions to a NORRAG
Special Issue (NSI) on

*Education for Societal Transformation: Alternatives for a Just Future*

We invite submissions of short written articles (typically around 1200-1500
words) that can speak to a wider global audience of policymakers,
academics, researchers, civil society organizations, and other actors
working in education. Articles should be submitted in and will be published
in English. If you wish to send one in a different language, please let us
know.

We seek a good balance of articles from diverse contributors in different
regions. As a first step, please indicate your interest by sending us a*
short abstract *(up to 250 words*) by 15 September 2023*. We will advise
authors by *15 October 2023* whether or not to submit a full manuscript.
The drafts of full manuscripts are due by *15 January 2024*. Papers will
then be peer reviewed with feedback provided by *1 March 2024*. Revised
manuscripts should be submitted by *1 April 2024* to meet the publishing
goal of this Special Issue by *1 September 2024*. We also plan to organize
sessions highlighting Special Issue contributions at the Comparative and
International Education Society annual conference in *March 2025*.

*Background: *

This Special Issue has been developed and will be edited by members of The
Alternatives Project <https://www.thealternativesproject.org/> (TAP). TAP
is a diverse, transnational collective of progressive academics, union
members, civil society activists, and social movement participants
concerned with building a global collective critical voice oriented towards
education and societal transformation. TAP envisions and works towards a
radical rethinking of education and society globally.

The current social, economic, political, and educational arrangements
reproduce relations of power that perpetuate profound inequities and
ultimately threaten life on the planet. We need alternative pedagogies and
just, regenerative education systems that will support the social
transformations required to create a more equitable and sustainable world.

Co-existing and interrelated global crises are pushing humanity and the
living planet towards social, political, economic, and ecological collapse.
These crises – currently seen in the pandemic, structural inequalities,
police brutality and racism, entrenched patriarchy, accelerating climate
chaos, and the constant threat of wars – are driven globally by capitalism
and militarism. We must seize this unique historical moment to reconceive
and radically change *public* education as an entry point for deeper
societal transformations.

We can learn from the struggles and lessons from organized students and
teachers, the trade union movement as a whole, democratic community-based
organizations – including associations of minorities, migrants and refugees
– as well as independent media, organizations, and professionals that are
committed to advancing justice in the flawed, real societies in which we
live. The goals of alternative education for societal transformation
address one or more of the following dimensions of justice: social,
environmental, economic, and political. (For further details on the
context, see the TAP “Statement”
<https://www.thealternativesproject.org/statement> which will open the
Special Issue.)

*Call*:

We invite authors to draw on the theoretical imaginaries and practical
experiences of researcher-educators and on diverse scholarly traditions
that characterize the societal crises that we face as well as the education
alternatives that could contribute to addressing these crises by
transforming local, national, and global structures. Specifically, we are
interested in non-reformist reforms (NRR) that pose a challenge to
underlying structures. Without debating what makes a “NRR,” we hope
contributors will focus on alternatives that they believe are NRRs.

Of relevance are manuscripts about alternative curricula, pedagogies, and
community relations in education at the preschool, primary, secondary, and
tertiary levels as well as in nonformal programs organized for youth and
adults, including those connected to worker organizations and social
movements.

We hope to include visions and practices for educational alternatives that
promote societal transformation in various contexts in Africa, Asia,
Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East, North America,
and the Pacific Rim. We are particularly interested in manuscripts authored
or coauthored by individuals from the Global South.

This NORRAG Special Issue will include two interrelated sections that will
highlight certain themes. *Authors should indicate where their contribution
fits within the following outline:*

*Projected Outline:*

1.   *Societal Alternatives* for Social, Climate, Economic, and Political
Justice

a.           Theoretical models for transformed/just societies

b.           Examples of efforts to build transformed/just societies

2.           *Education Alternatives* for Societal Transformation

1.   Alternative theoretical or practical examples in PreK-Higher
*formal *education
(e.g., anti-racist education, anti-patriarchal education,
climate/environmental crisis education, cosmopolitical learning, critical
multicultural education, critical pedagogy, democratic schools, holistic
education, indigenous education, peace education, social justice education,
spiritual education)

2.   Alternative theoretical or practical examples in *nonformal* education

*Guest Editors **(feel free to contact anyone listed to discuss a
contribution): *

   - *Frank Adamson*, California State University-Sacramento,
   adamson at csus.edu,
   - *Maria Ron Balsera*, Center for Economic and Social Rights,
   MariaRonBalsera at hotmail.com
   - *Rezan Benatar*, Independent Consultant, rebenatar at yahoo.com
   <ebenatar at yahoo.com>
   - *Michael Gibbons*, American University, gibbons at american.edu
   - *Mark Ginsburg*, University of Maryland-College Park, mginsbur at umd.edu)
   - *Steven Klees*, University of Maryland-College Park, sklees at umd.edu
   - *Giuseppe Lipari*, Scuola Normale Superiore, giuseppe.lipari at sns.it
   - *Carol Anne Spreen*, New York University, spreen at nyu.edu
   - *Deepa Srikantaiah*, University of Maryland-College Park,
   dsrikant at umd.edu

*Submission of Abstracts and Full Manuscripts* to Mark Ginsburg (
mginsbur at umd.edu)*:*

Deadline for submission of abstracts: *15 September 2023*

Deadline for first draft of full articles: *15 January 2024*