[PeDAGoG] CORE (Curriculum Open-access Resources in Economics)

Irene Sotiropoulou irene.sotiropoulou at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:10:56 CEST 2022

Hello everyone,
Many apologies, i will not enter the discussion about economics as such
because i have enough material online for anyone who wants to have a look
whether we can have economic knowledge that does not harm humans and
nature.
Two notes about the greek words, though, just to make sure that if you want
to discuss etymologies, you do it properly:
paidagogos. Pais=child, can be a girl or boy. In modern Greek we also have
"to paidi" which is gender neutral. Agogos= from ago verb, means leading,
guiding, doing by action. Paidagogos=also can be a woman or a man, means
the person who gives agogi (culture and good manners) to children. The
emphasis both in ancient and modern Greek is on cultural and social aspects
of education, not just giving information in terms of formal knowledge. We
use all those words today and paidagogiki (the art-science of paidagogos)
is not just teaching things to be certified in a degree but more than that.

Oikonomia - economy. Nothing to do with the english ab-use of the word.
Oikos=house in its extended form, i.e. not only the residence but the whole
estate for a household. It also means family, in its extended form. Nomi-a,
from verb nemo=sharing, using something. Nomos=law, i.e. rules about
sharing and using resources. Oikonomia=sharing and using resources within
oikos, creating rules about this sharing.
I have written about this already, you may find the writings online.
Have a nice day,
Irene

Στις Κυρ 26 Ιουν 2022 στις 3:26 μ.μ., ο/η Steven J. Klees <sklees at umd.edu>
έγραψε: