[PeDAGoG] CORE (Curriculum Open-access Resources in Economics)

Christine Dann christine at horomaka.org
Sat Jun 25 22:37:52 CEST 2022

Kia ora tatou

I wonder if it is possible for /any/ economics curriculum to be
satisfactory. In Bruno Latour's view (see the quotes from/After Lockdown
Metamorphosis/, 2021, below) 'economics'  is an invention which has been
and is still imposed with force. It obscures reality at best, and
destroys it at worst.

It was interesting to see in the philanthropy article which Christian
provided the link to that 'philanthropy' now includes creating
pro-capitalist propaganda. This reinforces Latour's point that a lot of
work has gone and continues to go into creating the pseudo-reality of
'economics' and the Economy. It can be 'soft' work, like the creation of
'philanthropic' propaganda; or 'hard' work, like the murder of
indigenous people and their supporters trying to prevent further
'economic' extraction of the life of their lands, and the minerals
beneath them.

It is still heretical these days to say that the Economy is not real,
and we should focus on what is, and stop aiming to grow the Economy
until it has devoured the Earth and all on it. It has been heretical for
50 years now, since the /Limits to Growth/ report was published in 1972,
and a very small new party in a very small new-ish state (the New
Zealand Values Party) put out an election manifesto with two key
policies - Zero Economic Growth and Zero Population Growth. I don't know
of any political party which has been so bold since - and you probably
all know the connections between economic and population growth and how
problematic both are these days. Also the connections with fossil fuel
extraction and use.

If I were a teenager today and had a choice between studying economics
in a classroom or learning gardening in a community garden, I know what
the smart choice would be.

Christine

p 59 “This time round, it’s not just a matter of improving, changing,
greening or revolutionising the ‘economic’ system, but of /completely
doing without the Economy./”

p 60 “/Homo oeconomicus /has nothing native, natural or autochthonous
about him, as we’ve long known. Strictly speaking, he comes from on high
… /from the top down/, and not at all from ordinary practical
experience, /from the ground up/, from the relationships that lifeforms
maintain with other lifeforms.”

p 60 “For the Economy to expand … as the bedrock of all possible life on
earth, an enormous amount of infrastructure building is required to
impose it as an obvious fact against the dogged resistance put up by the
most common experience in reaction to such violent colonisation.”

p 61 [Without this infrastructure] “no one would ever have invented
‘individuals’ capable of a selfishness drastic enough, constant enough,
consistent enough to not ‘owe anyone anything’ and to see all others as
‘aliens’ and all life forms as ‘resources’. Beneath the evidence of a
native, primal Economy lie three centuries of economisation….” [this
preliminary embedding requires extreme violence]

p 62 [In order not to stay in the economisation trap, the way out
proposed by Duzan Kazik] “… consists in /never agreeing/ to say of any
subject whatever that ‘it has an economic dimension’! Bowing to that
dimension … always boils down to suggesting that, on the one hand, there
is a profound, essential, vital reality – the economic situation – but
that on the other hand, we could nonetheless, if we had the time, take
‘other dimensions’ into account – social, moral, political dimensions
and even, why not, if there’s anything left over, an ‘ecological
dimension’… Well, reasoning accordingly means giving the Economy a
material reality it doesn’t have, and lending a hand to a power that
trickles down from on high.”

pp 74 - 75 “As soon as you describe a territory the right way round, you
feel in your bones why the Economy could not be realistic or
materialistic …. Embracing the Economy means interrupting the resumption
of interactions by inventing beings who won’t have to account for
themselves on the pretext that they’re autonomous individuals whose
limits are protected by an exclusive right of ownership.”