[PeDAGoG] [REDlistserve] A new article on the RED website - "The path to a just and sustainable society"

Carlos Tornel tornelc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:39:09 CEST 2021

Thanks Ariel and Tom!

As I was saying to Ted, I just want to clarify that I'm not advocating nor
think that struggling to achieve state power is the way through - We have
the experiences of Bolivia and Ecuador with indigenous or indigenous backed
governments that tried to take control of the state only to find that the
state operates in a global capitalist context which meant for many of them
an increase forms of extraction and forms of violence against them and the
very nature that they gave rights to. So I do agree with Ted that this is
not the way forward, as well as with many Latin American thinkers who argue
along the same lines (Holloway, Esteva, Dinerstein, etc). What I was
thinking about was more in the lines of what can we still demand of the
actually existing state or use the tools that already exist within it, to
achieve some of the goals we want to achieve. I'm thinking particularly
about some indigenous communities' struggles that are suing the state or
demanding their rights be granted and respected. These are of course tools
that were built by and "inside" the master's house, so I wouldn't say these
will necessarily lead towards a more just or equal world, but they are
nonetheless tools we can use to resist as we move forwards in the creation
of a new world. So long story short, should we just ignore the state or can
we 'use it', not to conquer state power, but to use the tools at our
disposal keeping in mind that the ultimate goal should be societies that
are rid of the state?

This might refer back to the point Ariel was making about what can be
mediated with existing institutions. Although I'm not sure that I agree
with what Tom was mentioning. Why assume that life-saving medicine of
technological innovations such as solar panels of broadband need the State?
Just thinking about this in 10 year anniversary of Occupy shows that people
can organize food systems, health clinics, reflection and discussion groups
all without the state, universities of hospitals. Of course this doesn't
mean that we should get rid of the hospitals now, but we can surely work
our way forward so that all these institutions that are not necessarily
there for our well-being but to create and exacerbate our dependencies on
them can be rethought or simply cese to be needed in the not so distant
future?

Apologies for the long response but I do appreciate the chance to continue
this debate and listening to other folk's opinions!

All the best,

C.