[PeDAGoG] [REDlistserve] A new article on the RED website - "The path to a just and sustainable society"

Carlos Tornel tornelc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 22:58:10 CEST 2021

Hi all and thanks Pallav for sharing this article!

I'm relatively new on some of the lists, but I thought I could share some
thoughts after the reading.

I found the article quite useful for thinking about how we can start to
build a post (growth, capitalism, extractive, etc.) society. I have faced
similar questions and concerns when advocating for a convivial or a
communal society in different spaces, such as what do we do with state
power? With armies, the military, nuclear weapons, etc.? How do we move
away from the Hobbian reality of power and the state? Several of the
anarchist and degrowth proponentes (although not so many have looked
seriously at this link until recently) have formulated proposals against
this, i.e. try to reduce our dependence on the state and progressively move
away from it. However this brings back the debate we've been having for
some time now in Latin America, should we seek to take back the state or
not? My own opinion is that we should, through several of the proposals
presented in the article, such as food and energy sovereignty, we can
progressively start to move away from the state, leading towards more
convivial societies. However it does seem that the state will have to play
a part in this transition, so perhaps we need to think of the transition
from one society to another in different scales and with different
agencies: I.e. What should we ask from the state? What can we do ourselves
in local and communal terms and how can we continue to build networks of
solidarity or communitarian entanglements at the regional, and even global
level.

My thanks again Pallav for sharing and to Ted for a very insightful and
useful analysis.

Best,

Carlos