[PeDAGoG] [vikalp-sangam-list] A new article on RED website - "We thought it was fiction"

Hari DK hari.coding at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:17:57 CEST 2021

I'm genuinely interested and curious in this, since part of my interest is
in making data- and AI-based platforms 'safe' enough to enable applications
of various sorts.

Please entertain these questions/challenges from someone who neither
pretends to be an activist nor an expert on the topic. Hopefully the
discussion won't get 'acrimonious'!

1) "But to be effective, it must be blanket: no more spying software.
Abolition. Period."

We live in a path-dependent world. A lot of the acceleration of spying
technologies has been in the aftermath of 9/11 and we should factor that
into the explanation of its presence. Would you still support the abolition
of spying software if it meant a 9/11 this year? This week? Tomorrow? Every
day?

2) Keeping the above in mind, surely surveillance to a *reasonable extent *is
the price we have to pay in order to secure ourselves from ourselves.
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty".
Could I suggest that, if this is so, instead of a blanket abolition of
spying, we should push for better and more oversight through proper
governance and process?

3) If you say that better process on when and how to engage spying
technology is not possible, then may I say to you - your agenda of
"revolution" to achieve this seems to be much more impossible! What are you
going to do - force every spying node on the Internet to decommission its
tech? How? By pointing a gun to their head?

I'm just the messenger, with a curiosity to learn. Interested in the
Thanks.

--
Hari Dilip Kumar

*The Sustainability Problemsolver <http://www.haridk.me> | Initiative for