[PeDAGoG] A message from Rojava, Syria

Pallav Das dpallav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:18:40 CET 2021

Friends,

Here's a very thoughtful response from Ken Montenegro, one of the authors
of "We thought it was fiction", on Şervîn Nûdem's comments:

Hello friends,

All I can say is that what those of us in the US experience in the US is
but a simulacrum of what the settler colonial war machine does in "foreign"
lands. I can also say that what the brave folks fighting for
self-determination in Rojava/Kurdistan/Syria/Turkey are directly
experiencing, like what folks in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Chechnya have
experienced: meta-data (like a phone signal) can kill.

This is once again why abolition matters: we can't accept these weapons and
an abolitionist framework encourages us not to get distracted because these
tools will "keep us safe" per the perpetrators of mass murder; we know that
we keep us safe and free. The brave folks of Rojava teach us that lesson in
the similar way that other temporarily subjugated and targeted folks have
in the past.

As the technology of death accelerates, I think our analysis must as
well...without the prevarication and "two-sides" that some folks propose.

Warm regards from Colombia,

Ken
Ken Montenegro :: Technologist, Lawyer, Factotum ::
https://flowcrypt.com/me/kmontenegro

Here's the link to Ken and colleagues' article:

https://www.radicalecologicaldemocracy.org/we-thought-it-was-fiction/

And, here's the link to the article Şervîn Nûdem wrote earlier in April on
the transformation taking place in Rojava:

https://www.radicalecologicaldemocracy.org/dismantling-power-by-building-democratic-autonomy/