[PeDAGoG] Recording of TACC TALK: Indigenous, non-western understandings of Climate Change by Dr. Rosalyn Bold

Bold, Rosalyn r.bold at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 11 12:03:44 CET 2021

Hello Sonali

Thanks for your email, and my apologies that it has taken me so long to reply! I am teaching as a Visiting Fellow with a Mexican university and it has taken up a lot of my time and attention preparing the classes.

Godwin Vasanth Bosco sounds fascinating from his website, and I will enjoy reading his book, many thanks.

1.) I was most intrigued by the idea that - and I hope I got it right - climate change will not prove to be as disastrous for the small, organic farmer as for industrial agro-business. Have I got it right, and if yes, could you say more about that?

Well this is to some extent conjecture on my part, based on my observations of how quickly Kaatans respond to change. Also its predicated on the 'gambling' involved in predicting future crop prices on the stock exchange- this is what governs international agribusiness rather than a focus on producing as much as possible with a highly resilient diverse approach. The UNFAO in 2010 produced a report entitled 'Wake Up!' which broke with the green revolution fascination to call urgently for the propagation of small scale 'traditional' farming as it is more resilient to climate change as well as emitting significantly less greenhouse gases than agribusiness employing tractors, hydrocarbon based fertilisers, etc. Do you know that the agricultural sector currently accounts for a third of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide?!? amazing for something that involves growing plants, which of course absorb carbon- it seems to me that this is the easiest to change, given there are many existing sustainable farming systems and landscape knowledge still out there. It seems that this is an especially relevant issue in India as there has been such a widespread uptake of GR techniques with such controversial consequences, like the contemporary protests, farmer suicides and pesticide related illnesses, etc. My partner and I are making a documentary on traditional vs. GR farming among the Bishnoi of Haryana and Rajasthan.

2) Also, I am sceptical of reading too much into ritual as a means of signifying (or inculcating) respect/love. Here in India symbol and actuality are kept remorselessly apart. Mainstream Hinduism still - indeed, increasingly - pays attention to the rituals that worship snakes, trees, forests, lakes, spring, harvest, etc.etc., even as, as a society, we systematically lop away at forests, dynamite sacred mountains and rivers, etc.etc. Thoughts?

Yes, this is an interesting observation, and leads one to wonder what is different in this type of veneration. Do they worship particular forests, snakes etc or abstract ones, that is to say, are we talking about immanent or transcendent religiosity here? I would love to study this more and hope to make it to India before too much more time elapses to do just this. We are restricted from applying for tourist visas currently but it is my hope with some institutional backing at the Indian end I would eb able to get a Research Visa.

On pervasive modernism you might like Michael Cepek's There Might Be Blood, an ethnography whcih I am currently doing with my Mexican students.

I hope youre well, and good to be in touch!

Best wishes

Rosalyn

Dr. Rosalyn Bold

Honorary Research Fellow