[PeDAGoG] URGENT: Support needed to Junk Philippine Terror Bill

Angging Aban azenana at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:39:14 CEST 2020

Dear colleagues, partners, friends,

We urgently need your support on this statement we are circulating in
solidarity with the Filipino people:

The University of the Philippines Program on Alternative Development
(AltDev) condemns the passage of the Anti-Terrorism Bill of 2020. Nothing
but a weapon to silence criticism and dissent toward the government, the
proposed Bill is a threat to the fundamental constitutional rights of the
Filipino people.

The Bill grants absolute power to the state and its repressive apparatuses
such as the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National
Police to violate the Philippine Constitution and human rights. It harbors
a vague definition of terrorism which permits the malicious tagging of
activists, critics, and organizations as affiliates of so-called terrorist
groups.  Furthermore, the Bill undermines whatever “safeguard” it has by
giving free rein to the Anti-Terror Council (ATC) to determine what
constitutes “a serious risk to public safety” and the act to “incite
others” to commit terrorism. This paves the way for the warrantless arrest
of members of civil society designated as “terrorist.” This may paralyze
the broad grassroots movements and alternative practices engaged by
communities and civil society organizations that counter the state’s
aggressive, profit-oriented vision of development. No one is safe.

We believe that it is imperative that we put an end to terrorist
activities. Our hearts and sympathies go out to all of those who have been
victimized by acts of lawless violence. However, arming the government with
punitive instruments and granting them  a wide latitude of discretion,
which the proposed bill provides, is not the answer. History will tell how
current and past regimes have exhausted means to amass political power
through anti-people policies, as exemplified by the late dictator Ferdinand
Marcos who wore the same “anti-terrorism” veneer to quell critics and
dissenters. Suffice to say, the “Terror Bill” does not and will not address
the root causes of terrorism which is poverty and the corruption of power.

As scholars and activists, we cannot stand by as we lay witness to the
passage of this bill, especially under the current regime which has not
been shy to use violence against the weak, powerless and the poor. We
believe that addressing terrorism must not be addressed through  punitive
and draconian measures. Quelling terroristic activities is built through a
comprehensive approach towards attaining peace, social justice, equity with
the genuine participation of its people. We do not need to further arm the
coercive apparatuses of the state which has operated with impunity and has
grotesquely performed its duties with abuses. In order to end terrorism,
what our society needs are real opportunities for its people, schools for
its children, protection for peoples across races, sexes, and genders, an
end to discrimination and violence, and genuine, open and transformative
conversations in our pursuit of development.

To be free from terrorism, the entire Philippine nation, and the rest of
the world, must get rid of poverty, marginalization and vulnerabilities. We
need and demand for socio-politico-economic transformation attuned to
people’s aspirations and voices, not another gauntlet to further strangle
the Filipino peoples.

#JunkTerrorBillNow

Supported by: *(please signify your name or name of your organization for
support)*

1.

Angging

*Ananeza Aban, MCD*
Senior Research Associate
Program on Alternative Development (AltDev)
University of the Philippines | Center for Integrative and Development
Studies
*Ang Bahay ng Alumni, Lower Ground Floor  *
*Magsaysay Ave., UP Diliman, Q.C. 1101  Philippines*
*Tel. nos.:  981-8500 loc. 4266-4267 & 435-9283*
*Tel. fax:  981-8500 loc. 4268 & 426-0955*

*Website: cids.up.edu.ph <http://cids.up.edu.ph>*
*Facebook page: www.facebook.com/upcids*