[PeDAGoG] One more introduction

sonali sathaye ssathaye at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 12:59:03 CEST 2020

Dear All,

Time to introduce oneself! A difficult task (which is why I have been
putting it off for so long) given the many winding skeins of interest that
go in to that.

Broadly, as an educator (and a person), I am keen on asking the right
question - a question that strikes deep at the root of a phenomenon/event
such that the thing reveals itself automatically, effortlessly, without
bias. And to attempt it would require one to be quite transparent, to not
cling to pieties, to be fearless and admit to being wrong. Of course it
often happens that one's obduracy or attachment is only seen after the fact
- but still, that's the endeavour, to attempt to see things as they are and
not through a film of one's creation.

Khair ("anyway" in Hindustani) - that attitude underlies my approach (and I
hope practice) in teaching. The expression the teaching takes is through
the subjects of Sociology, Drama and History - but I would say the "what"
is almost not as important as the "how" of the teaching.

Although, I must admit that is not wholly true either - I do feel quite
strongly that the content of our curricula are severely lacking in courage,
in the ability to face up to what we have made of this planet and
ourselves. So - more ecology, more sociology, etc but with us *inside* the
circle, not outside, critiquing.

Finally, I just want to say that I love teaching high school students more
than any other age group.

Have enjoyed reading about the diverse group that make up this vast
network. Very good indeed to know of all the efforts being made to unlock
the planet. Looking forward to this evening -

sonali